Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

October 2, 2008

Cousins Removed versus 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Cousins - an Explanatioin

There is often confusion over the terminology of cousins removed versus 1st cousins, 2nd cousins, etc.

Example: First cousins 4x removed means that the two individuals are 4 generations apart.

Example: 4th cousins means the individuals are on the same generational line and share a common ancestor in one of their 3rd great grandparents.

* First cousins share common grandparents
* 2nd cousins share common great grandparents
* 3rd cousins share common g-g grandparents

and so on

* 1st cousins once removed means one of the individuals is the child of your first cousin (you are one generation apart)

* 1st cousins twice removed means one of the individuals is the grandchild of your first cousin( you are 2 generations apart)

and so on

3 comments:

Velda said...

Thanks for posting this, this has always confused me :)

Snowbird said...

Thanks. I always wondered how that worked. BTW, I enjoy your blog.

Nochipra said...

Hi,

I just thought I'd post this site that I found very helpful in figuring out how I'm related to some of the relatives I've been able to get in touch with.

http://www.burdickfamily.org/relations.html